Fettercairn Arch is a Category B Listed Romanesque arch in the centre of Fettercairn village. It was built as a memorial to the Prince Consort and to commemorate the visit of Victoria and Albert in September 1861. It was designed by John Milne (of St Andrews) between 1864-5 and consists of two buttressed octagonal towers with short gabletted spirelets and wrought-iron finials. The arch is finished with a crenellated parapet with central curvilinear gablet feature.
Scope of Work
Pictured: Royal Arch: decayed lettering and dental work.
LTM were contracted by Aberdeenshire Council to repair this historic structure. Works included: descaling laminating stonework, removing biological growth, stabilising and consolidating the stonework, removing inappropriate ‘plastic’ repair mortars and reinstatement with lime based mortars and cutting and dressing new monument copes to match original dimensions and profile. Finally, works included the careful removal of ferrous iron cramps with stainless steel dog cramps fixed using molten lead.
[ View the full Case Study Slide Show ]