Larbert East Church is a Category B Listed building built in 1900 on the site of the previous Free Church (1843). It comprises a Gothic design with an imposing tower with crenellated parapet and angle finials; the building is of squared stugged ashlar with tooled dressings throughout.
Scope of Work
Pictured: Larbert East Church: main elevation.
LTM were contracted by Pollock Hammond Partnership to undertake holistic conservation works to the church fabric. Works included: complete replacement of sandstone tracery window on the main window of the church; replacement/indenting of defective sandstone ashlar and finial stones to all elevations; selective repointing of defective mortars; removal of concrete/tile steps and cutting and constructing new steps to the entrance of the church; removal of all windows on the aisles and replacement with leaded stained glass windows; restoration of leaded stained glass windows.
In addition, LTM organised a Masonry Workshop in partnership with the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB) in Scotland and Construction Materials Consultants (CMC) Ltd. This training event focused on the use of natural stone and demonstrated a variety of masonry techniques, including stone dressing, pointing and indenting.
[ View the full Case Study Slide Show ]