Salmon House is a Category B Listed building located on Portsoy Harbour. It was built in 1834 to prepare the salmon for transport to market, to store and repair the fishing nets and to provide sleeping and cooking space for workmen. It is one of the last remaining salmon bothys in Scotland and forms a key landmark feature to Portsoy Harbour.
Scope of Work
Pictured: Salmon House: rear elevation before works.
LTM were subcontracted to conduct the masonry repair works on behalf of the Scottish Boat Festival. Works included: careful removal of existing cement render using hand tools to minimise vibrations to the masonry; preparation of background masonry requiring all joints to be pinned out and flushed pointed with surrounding masonry to receive reinstated traditional lime harling and subsequent coats of limewash. Tallow was mixed through the final coat of limewash to give a more waterproof finish for the first few years and to aid the curing of the lime and reduce salts absorbing into the mortar while it is still carbonating. All works were to be completed in time for the Scottish Traditional Boat Festival in June 2008.
[ View the full Case Study Slide Show ]